Virtual reality (VR) gaming is quickly becoming the future of the online gaming and Esports industry. With its immersive experiences, VR games have the potential to transport players to entirely different worlds, making it one of the most exciting fields of gaming today. However, creating a VR game requires a lot of resources and expertise, and launching it to the market is no easy feat. This is where a VR publisher comes in – they can help VR Developers bring their VR games to the masses, and here are six reasons why every VR developer needs one.
1. Resources & Expertise: Developing a VR game involves a lot of moving parts, from designing the game mechanics to creating immersive environments and optimizing performance. A VR publisher can provide developers with the expertise and resources required to make a game that is not only immersive but also optimized for different VR platforms. They can offer advice on the best VR platforms to launch a game, help developers navigate the complex licensing and certification requirements, and assist with marketing and distribution. This support can be crucial for a VR developer, especially for those without experience in bringing VR games to market.
One great example of a VR game that has benefitted from a VR publisher is "A Fisherman's Tale," developed by Innerspace VR and published by Vertigo Games. The game features a unique gameplay mechanic where players must navigate a lighthouse using miniature versions of themselves, creating an immersive experience that truly stands out. With the help of Vertigo Games, the game was optimized for different VR platforms, and it was launched on multiple platforms, including PlayStation VR and Oculus Quest. This allowed the game to reach a wider audience, ultimately leading to more sales and success.
2. Industry Connections & Experience: VR publishers have a network of industry connections and experience that can help developers navigate the complex world of VR gaming. This includes contacts with hardware manufacturers, software vendors, and other key players in the VR ecosystem. This network can help developers secure better deals on hardware and software, leading to cost savings that can be reinvested in the game's development. Furthermore, VR publishers can offer advice on the latest trends in VR gaming, which can be valuable in helping developers create games that are more relevant and appealing to their target audience.
The success story of Rogue Ascent VR demonstrates how VR Publishers can leverage their industry connections and expertise to help VR developers launch their games successfully. Nooner Bear Studios, the developer of Rogue Ascent VR, started the game as a humble Kickstarter campaign. But Clique Games, a VR Publisher with years of experience in the gaming industry, discovered the potential of the game and rebranded it to give it a fresh new look. Clique Games then used their industry connections to make Meta Quest aware of the game. Fast forward a year, and Rogue Ascent VR is set to officially launch on the Meta Quest store, the "Mecca" of platforms for VR games.
With the help of Clique Games, Rogue Ascent VR will officially launch on the Meta Quest store on May 4th and is expected to become a hit with gamers around the world.
Their success story shows the important role that VR Publishers play in helping VR developers reach their full potential and bring their games to a wider audience.
3. Funding & Investment: Developing a VR game can be expensive, and many developers may not have the resources to self-fund their projects. A VR publisher can provide funding and investment opportunities to help developers bring their games to market. This can include seed funding for initial development, or funding for marketing and distribution. Furthermore, VR publishers may also have connections with venture capitalists and other investors who are interested in supporting innovative VR games.
One example of this, and something that made the statement "VR is relevant", is a Oculus Rift VR game from 2017 called "Lone Echo"--developed by Ready at Dawn and published by Oculus Studios. This was a zero-gravity adventure game, where players navigate a space station and solve puzzles. With the help of Oculus Studios, Ready at Dawn was able to secure funding to develop the game, which allowed them to create the most highly polished and immersive experience that VR could offer at the time. The game was a critical and commercial success, with many praising its innovative gameplay mechanics and stunning visuals.
4. Testing & Feedback: VR publishers can provide valuable feedback and testing throughout the development process, helping developers refine their games and make them more appealing to players. This can include testing for usability and playability, as well as feedback on the game's storyline, characters, and environments. By working closely with a VR publisher, developers can create games that are more engaging and immersive, ultimately leading to greater success in the market.
One example is the VR game "Shooty Fruity"--developed in partnership by Near Light Studios, and published by nDreams. The game is a “shoot & serve” multi-tasking gameplay made especially for VR & motion control. With the help of their publisher, the game underwent extensive testing and received valuable feedback on gameplay mechanics and user experience. This led to improvements in the game's design, making it more intuitive and immersive for players.
5. Marketing & Distribution: VR developers need to reach a wide audience to ensure the success of their games. However, marketing and distribution can be challenging, especially for small independent studios that may not have the resources to market and distribute their games effectively. VR publishers can help developers with marketing and distribution, ensuring that their games reach a wider audience, and ultimately more sales.
VR publishers can help developers promote their games through various marketing channels, including social media, email marketing, and online advertising. They can also help developers generate buzz for their games by partnering with influencers and media outlets to showcase their games to a wider audience.
VR publishers can help developers distribute their games on multiple VR platforms. This includes working with VR platform providers, such as Meta, PlayStation VR, PicoVR, and SteamVR, to ensure that the game is available on multiple platforms simultaneously. This can help increase the visibility of the game and reach a wider audience.
The success of "Monkey See Monkey Doo Doo" by Continuum XR, published by Clique Games, is a prime example of how VR Publishers can use their marketing and distribution expertise to help VR developers successfully launch their games. Clique Games used a multi-faceted approach to promote the game, including building a strong community around it through the creation of a Discord server that, as of April '23, has amassed almost 9000 members. They also utilized viral marketing and their relationships with industry influencers on popular video platforms like TikTok and YouTube to attract players and generate buzz around the game.
By leveraging their expertise in marketing and distribution, Clique Games was able to successfully position "Monkey See Monkey Doo Doo" as a fun and engaging free-to-play multiplayer VR game that appealed to a broad audience. As a result of their efforts, the game has amassed over a quarter-million users since its launch in January of '23. This success story highlights the importance of VR Publishers in helping developers navigate the competitive landscape of VR gaming by using their marketing and distribution expertise to help games stand out and reach a wider audience.
Effective marketing and distribution are critical to the success of VR games. VR publishers can help developers promote their games through various channels and distribute them on multiple platforms, ensuring that they reach a wider audience and achieve success.
6. Licensing & Intellectual Property (IP): VR developers need to navigate complex licensing requirements when creating VR games. These requirements can vary depending on the VR platform and can be challenging to navigate, especially for small independent studios. VR publishers can provide guidance and support for licensing and intellectual property issues, helping developers protect their games and ensure they are properly licensed for different VR platforms.
For example, VR publishers can help developers understand the licensing requirements for different VR platforms, such as Meta Quest, PlayStation VR, Pico VR, and SteamVR. They can also help developers navigate the licensing process and ensure that their games are properly licensed and protected.
Furthermore, VR publishers can help developers protect their intellectual property by providing legal support and advice. This includes helping developers register trademarks and copyrights, and providing guidance on how to protect their games from infringement. VR publishers can also help developers negotiate licensing deals with third-party companies to use their intellectual property in their games. Navigating the licensing and intellectual property requirements of VR development can be challenging, but with the help of VR publishers, developers can ensure that their games are properly licensed, protected, and ready to launch on different VR platforms.
The success of "Creed: Rise to Glory" by Survios is a great example of how VR Publishers can use their licensing and intellectual property expertise to help VR developers launch their games.
"Creed: Rise to Glory" is based on the iconic "Rocky" film franchise and features some of the most recognizable IP in the entertainment industry. Survios, the publisher, worked closely with the IP owners to secure the necessary rights to create an authentic and immersive VR experience that fans of the franchise would love. They also leveraged their expertise to ensure that the game was developed in a way that respected the IP, while still providing a fresh and exciting gameplay experience for players. Thanks to Survios' licensing and IP expertise, "Creed: Rise to Glory" became a major success and a fan favorite among gamers and "Rocky" fans alike. This success story demonstrates the crucial role that VR Publishers play in bringing together the right resources and expertise to create truly memorable and successful VR games.
VR gaming is an exciting and rapidly growing field, but it is also a complex and challenging one. Developing a VR game requires a lot of resources and expertise, and launching it to the market can be even more challenging. This is where a VR publisher comes in – they can provide developers with the expertise, resources, and industry connections required to bring their game to the masses. By working with a VR publisher, developers can create games that are optimized for different VR platforms, navigate complex licensing and certification requirements, and reach a wider audience. Ultimately, this can lead to increased sales and success, making it an essential part of any VR developer's toolkit.
About Clique Games
Clique Games is a VR publisher & developer that seeks to push Virtual Reality to new heights. Whether it be Hand-Tracking technologies or advanced physics simulation, Clique Games always reaches higher to set a new bar for what VR gaming can be. Clique Games are high octane, infinitely replayable, and accessible for all players.